Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day, Ya'll

Every year, single women and all sorts of men proclaim their hatred for this day. It's contrived! It was conceived in a vast conspiracy of women, Hallmark, and FTD! But you know what? I've always kind of liked V-Day, despite natural law's decree that as a male, even a single one, I ought to hate it. Why do I like it?

I think because it holds promise. It reminds us that true love, romantic and steadfast, exists in the world. It gives us hope. And it celebrates the first recorded gift God gave to man: companionship. (Oh, and it reminds us of the first commandment given, too: be fruitful and multiply).

So celebrate, even if it's only in a small way. Cherish your friends and loved ones today. If you've got a wife or a husband, show 'em some appreciation; after all, you could be all alone in this world with nary a soul to comfort you (and don't neglect that commandment, eh? You know what I'm talkin' 'bout.) And if you're still pissed about the day, don't blame St. Valentine, blame Chaucer.


















And check out these fantastic V-Day photographs from Magnum.

3 comments:

Spoon said...

She was just making sure his wallet was there so she could buy a funnel cake at the little stand just out of frame.

Anonymous said...

That woman is grabbing awfully low. Is that how much my tush cheeks are going to sag when I get old? I guess the better question is…will I ever get tush cheeks?

Spoon said...

We can only hope...