Wednesday, April 02, 2008

SXSW Recap: Day 2

I think I stayed in bed until noon on Friday; I didn't even try to go to any day parties. The Auditorium Shores concert didn't interest me, either. And even though nobody I knew could make it for Night 2 of the Moon Tower, I sure as hecks wasn't about to miss out.

When I got there at around 11pm, the line was about 100 deep. TABC had made a surprise visit and was hanging around to make sure only adults got free adult beverages. Friday night got rolling with American Bang, a Nashville band so good I broke the promise I'd made to myself that if I ever found myself at a show where a dude in a band rocked shirtless, I'd leave on principle. No, I stayed, and American Bang reminded me of just how much of a good time a good-natured, no-frills rock concert can be. Between shows I met the singer from Delta Spirit whilst talking to some Red Bull friends.

My favorite new band of the night were the Shackletons, a kind of neo-punk band from Chambersburg, PA. I stood in the front row for this one. I've always found small-town Pennsylvanians to be some of the most agreeable people on earth, and by golly, the Shackeltons didn't disappoint. Adding to the greatness of the music was the ecstatic, trembling performance of singer Mark Redding. He spent half the show bouncing around on the precariously tipsy subwoofers that stood immediately in front of the stage - talk about tension. They held, though, and at one point he reached out and shook my hand.

White Ghost Shivers took the stage next. These guys I can't say enough about. They are at the top of the Austin music heap and draw huge crowds--and their music sounds like it should be about 80 years out-of-date. Instead, it's entirely fresh. They call their style "hokum," a mix of Dixieland jazz and Vaudevillian theatre. The theatre is the thing; listening to a recording of the Shivers doesn't capture the sheer joy of the performance. It's more musical revue than anything. The Cast of Characters (among others):
-Cella Blue - Vocals and skirt-lifting
-Smokebreak Slemenda - Vocals and lead guitar (actually, he never ever takes a smoke break; he plays the entire show with a lit cigarette stuffed between his pick-hand fingers)
-Shorty Borgasm - A seven-foot tall banjo player with a predilection for fake moustaches and the brier.
I've seen the Shivers twice now, and I would gladly pay to see them again.

Anthony showed up at about 3:30, but was only able to catch Dragonette, the last act. Time of departure: 4something.

A couple of day 2 highlights @ my Tumblog.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you like American Bang, which has an album due out this summer. I think their tour manager is pretty cool, too. He's my son. Enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

i was honored to shake your hand.
you are a true gentleman. hugs from the band, too. we may be in austin on the 21st.
www.myspace.com/theShackeltons has our dates.
we are enroute to chicago right now.
big love to you,
mark and the band

Bagger said...

Go ahead... just keep rubbing it in...

Spoon said...

Thanks, wordguy. According to my valet friend, Bang are pretty cool guys to boot.

Mark & co: You're too kind. Congrats on the MPR/Current appearance. I'll look for ya here on the 21st.

Bagger: It only gets better.

Anonymous said...

this is what I like to call "time well spent." Are you doing something you shouldn't be doing, Spoon?

Answer: Nope, I'm doing exactly something I SHOULD be doing.

You know.

-Long lost bro.... EB

Spoon said...

Brownie: I'm making that my new mantra.