Friday, May 26, 2006

Old Man Bites Tenderly

Let's talk about game shows for a minute. I like game shows. Before reality shows became dominant, the game show was a great way to kill half an hour during dinner. But when was the last time we Americans came up with a truly great game show? I mean, we have the Big 3: The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy, but what have we gotten since those were created? Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and The Weakest Link were imports, were they not? They seemed good at the time, but had no staying power; nobody watches those anymore. Deal or No Deal: you tell me. It's engaging, a little addictive, but can it stand the test of time?

When I think of great new game shows, I look to Japan. First there was Takeshi's Castle (dubbed into English as MXC), and now comes a show (actually a segment of a variety show, another lost form here in America) called Silent Library. Because it takes place in a library, contestants are forced to play (you guessed it) silently. Why can't we have game shows like this in the Land of the Free?



The non-Japanese man is Dutchman Ernesto Hoost, four-time K-1 champion.

6 comments:

Jason said...

Really funny. I don't think USA TV can contend with Japanese TV. At least for game shows.

My second favorite was Bad Smell Air.

Spoon said...

My favorite moment was when grey sweater guy got picked for "slapping machine" after "wasabi roll" and "bad smell air" back to back, but the old man removing his dentures (and the wimpering that followed) was unlike anything I've ever seen.

Jason said...

My first favorite was certainly the old man gumming the other guys ear, like a wraith from hell.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you actually put my name as Lezgez.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha that cracked me up! my favorite was the old man gumming gently!!!

Spoon said...

Lez,
I wanted to set you apart in the "blogroll." I didn't want you to get overlooked just because you were Linebarger #3. Shall I change it to "Neslerd"?