Friday, May 12, 2006

It Just Ain't What It Used to Be











Allow me to drop some personal science on the ongoing music discussion. I went to a concert last night (an increasingly rare occurence for me), and the experience is relatively fresh in my mind.

After standing in line for nearly an hour outside (surrounded by legions of 13-year-old girls), I was treated to another hour of standing inside as Amanda, Stuart, Stephen and I stood as close as we could to the stage in anticipation of The Main Event. My feet started to let me know they weren't having much fun, but I assured them it would be worth it. Presently, the opening band, the Damnwells, emerged to start the show. Their first song featured a thundering bass drum beat with equally bombastic bass line. We all immediately became aware that we were standing right in front of the subwoofers, as our breastbones violently vibrated to the 80hz beat. It was unpleasant. No, it was painful, but in the following songs, as the beat settled down, real pain birthed and grew in my ears, especially the left one, which was so serendipitously positioned to receive the most sound possible from the nearby overhead speakers. The Damnwells weren't bad, but they weren't good, either, and I didn't appreciate their damaging my hearing with their mediocre music. So, I did something I haven't done in 20 years, I moved to the BACK at a rock show.

When my head cleared, I realized I've only ever enjoyed two "opening" or "support" bands (those bands put on the bill ahead of known performers, for purposes of exposure) in my entire concert-going career. The first was the legendary Buddy Guy, who opened for Dave Matthews Band at Soldier Field (before it was converted into a space station). Let me tell you, Buddy has some soul, and it was a blessing to have his acoustic waves wash over me. The second opening band I really enjoyed was an little band the Fray, when they opened for Ben Folds. They were upbeat rock rock that employed a piano as a featured instrument, and I liked their sincere sound with a pop sensibility, so I was very willing to pay $20 to see them again.

Back to the show: last night, the Fray did alright, yep. They played the songs from their album and one cover. Maybe in my younger days, that would constituted a divine experience. Now, it's just not enough. I wanted to hear songs from their little-know EP. I wanted to hear more covers. I wanted new work. I wanted...to feel like I felt back in 1994 at the Audio Adrenaline concert, when the sea of people in front of me was jumping up an down in unison, or how I felt a year later at an outdoor Jars of Clay show, when I was the one jumping and I didn't care if anyone noticed I had no rhythm.

I think those days are gone. I gotta find something else to appreciate in music. I'm starting to find it, I think. Small things, like a catchy little tune, or the simply lyric, "Some times the hardest thing and the right thing are the same." Nothing earth shattering, but then again, was rock ever that big of a deal?


*Listen to the Fray. I like!
*Are you a rockist?

10 comments:

Jason said...

Yeah,
I think my jumping days are over (especially with this trick knee of mine).
Rememer MMW in Iowa city? All I wanted to do was sit back and absorb, but There
were all of these stupid hippies dancing like they were at Burning Man or something. I realized then that I did'nt ever want to jump at a concert ever again. But I do want to absorb, which makes it hard to enjoy any rock show, because nobody elae wants to just sit back and listen. Concerts are no longer physical experiences for me.

I think the fact that Audio Adrenaline used to do it for you speaks to one of your comments on my post. Those were the days when we were inexperienced. Not to say that that music has no value. It simply is not needed in the same way.
I am still trying to discover rock again. I am taking it slow. Some old stuff, some new stuff. one song at a time. This seems to be a good way of going about it. U2 Acrobat was a great sugestion from Chris. I relate well to the lyrics.

Jason said...

Change in life and career? Do we need to talk?

Firelance said...

Did I miss something about career change? I just read through the post again...

Glad you called Soldier Field a Space Station. They're bidding on the 2016 Olympics in Chicago, but, as one Tribune columnist wrote, they turned Soldier Field into one of the ugliest pieces of architecture on the planet.

My last physical concert experience was with Jamby when we saw the Pixies' old lead singer solo--Frank Black. The only thing I remember about that night was turning my head to see a guy stage diving and his forehead landed right in my eye socket. I woke up on the floor in Jamby's arms. The school nurse at UNT said I got quite the concussion. That was 10 years ago. We're getting old. But you know what, there's nothing bad about that. I'm enjoying it, personally.

Jason said...

I agree Rob. Getting old is so turbo, that its ridiculous. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Spoon, so I just got your Email update. Sounds cool man. I imagine you are really busy trying to get your stuff done this week. I am really excited about your future. I seems that this is a great step. Now we just have to get you out of Texas.

Spoon said...

The best thing about being around for 25+ years is being familiar with the ways people work, what makes them tick, and how they will react to certain words and situations. Also, being able to rent a car is handy. Still waiting for decent facial hair, however.

Seeing Clay's pics made me yearn for Chi-town. But I'm gonna be here for a while, and I'm finna enjoy 50-degree winters while I can. I believe it was George Jones who said "you can't get the hell out of Texas, 'cause it's the hell-raising center of the earth."

Spoon said...

Rob--What happened to Andre?

Jason said...

lol

Firelance said...

Ok, just got your update, never mind my earlier comment about career change. Exciting! Did Andre not show up? I'm seeing him...?

Spoon said...

I mean, where's Andre now? Why doesn't he wrestle any more? Why isn't he acting? What ever happened to him? He seemed like such nice guy, even if he was all big and tough on the outside. Even though most people considered him the Eight Wonder of the World, I always suspected he was a gentle giant. I bet he wasn't even acting in Princess Bride; that was pure Andre, I'm sure. But it seems like he dissapeared around January 27, 1993. He's...he's not gone is he?

Actually, I 'just can't see the pic because the filter here at TIME blocks Photobucket.

Jason said...

Rob, I'll take this one.

hmmmmmmf..........

Aaron, sometimes when a man has more "man" then needed, the mind cant keep up. Andre was a lover, poet, and friend. But his body was monsterous and freaky. His heart just couldn't keep up......

But its ok because he is in heaven now. And that can't be bad, can it?

Listen, I know your angry. But if we didn't get angry, we wouldn't get happy, right?

Love,
Jason