Thursday, March 01, 2007

Darn Unreliable Sixth Sense

My sixth sense failed me today, in a pretty significant way. No, I'm not talking about that sixth sense. I'm talking about the real one: the ability to sense where the parts of one's body are. There's no slick monosyllabic word for this sense, and that's probably why it hasn't been added to the list of sight, sound, touch, taste, and smell. It's real nonetheless. It's the sense that allows you to close your eyes, stretch out your arms, and touch your index fingers together (go ahead, try it--I just did).

Anyway, as I surveyed my first pool today, I cursed the wind storm that had deposited a layer of dust on the plaster of every single on of my pools. The dust means I have the awesome privilege of vacuuming every square inch of every pool--doubling the amount of work it takes to get the job done. I thought it couldn't possibly get any worse. But a little bit later I was transferring leaves from my pool serviceman's net (or "rake" as we say in the biz), things got worse as sense numero seis let me down.

I readjusted the placement of my right foot and stepped not on solid ground as I had expected, but in seven-foot-deep water. Time slows down when you're a pool serviceman and you realize you're about to go all in on a watery hand. I quickly realized what was happening and had just enough time to think "oh gosh, this is the big one, the one that ruins my cell phone" and desperately lean to the left. The slow-motion lean did the trick. It was not "the big one." Only my right leg got soaked. Disaster averted. Final verdict: squishy sock for the rest of the work day (my backup socks were in the laundry).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks friend.
better luck next time.

The Raging Paradoxidation said...

I know what you mean.

I won't go into all of the details of the situation here but I had a similar feeling as "time stood still" for me when working on remodeling this bedroom in my house.

I watched in slow motion as this 2x4 brace that I made slipped from the ceiling, bounced off my head, then off the ladder, then onto the floor and right back up spinning and crashing into a brand new window that I had just put in totally killing the bottom pane.

For a moment in time you lose consciousness of everything except that thought that stretches for eternity and says "WWWWWAAAAAAAIIIIIITTTTT!!! Mmmmmaaaaayyyyybbbbeeeee IIIIIIIIII ccccaaaaaaannnnnnnnn ssssstttooooooopppppp iiiiiittttttt....."

Unfortunately my disaster was not averted and I still have yet to replace the bloody thing a few months later.

I would have a much harder time with water though, be-in's that I can't really swim and all...

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh! Sorry...but I could just see me doing the same thing.