Monday, March 12, 2007

Move Over, Mii

Oh, the joys of console gaming. One never knows which one to buy. If you want HD graphics with the potential to wander into the Uncanny Valley plus a built-in Blu-Ray player, the Playstation 3 is the only way to go. If you want fun, motion-interactive games a grandmother could play, the Wii's your best bet. If you frown on floating-point calculations and prefer a GPU with L2 cache, an HD-DVD add-on option, and you're addicted to Halo, why Microsoft has a nifty little box called the 360 you might want to check out. Choosing just one system proves difficult, because there are so few points of comparison.

A MiiBut a few exist. Sony and Nintendo noticed the raging success of Xbox Live and created their own online networks. Nintendo's Wii even introduced customizable characters that serve as proxies in certain games. They resemble cute, animated weebles as they hop toward fly balls and bounce around tennis courts. I thought the concept was clever even though function clearly took priority over form. And then I saw this video.

7 comments:

Jason said...

Yeah. great. This looks like the console for people who are too afraid to play WOW, because it looks dorky.

This is one more example of Playstation's never ending inferiority to Nintendo. No original ideas whatsoever. A virtual world, full of virtual people.Too bad you can't spend a virtual $600 to buy the system.

Spoon said...

First of all, I don't think fear of WoW is necessarily a bad thing. I have a healthy fear of it for reasons beyond the stigma of dorkdom: addiction, expense, the futility of playing a game that never ends.

Secondly, I think Blu-Ray is a pretty original idea. Check the specs; the potential data capacity of Blu-Ray exceeds HD-DVD by about 400%.

Finally, the most important questions we should consider: in terms of VG fun, is there ever a "better" or just a "more preferable"? More importantly, on the social front, what is the value of a virtual community?

Jason said...

I love the idea of blue ray, but its not Sony's invention, to my knowledge. I'm just not impressed with the direction that gaming is going, in general. Its beginning to loose some of it's soul. I think that Nintendo is doing something about it, and that impresses me.
For the record, I don't play WOW anymore.

Spoon said...

I got sold on Blu-Ray after reading some very good articles about the next-generation movie discs on Slate: The Blu-Ray Revolution, Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD, and Why both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are Dead on Arrival.

Jason said...

It turns out Sony did in fact develop blu-ray. I withdraw that part of my testimony.
I don't hate Sony. I just hate Playstation.

Anonymous said...

word verification: suommpd

See the Miis are cute.. and useless. But so cute.

This thing.. it scares me. I feel like I am gonna have to pay a mortgage, and be popular and make friends and learn some new set of acronyms.

I guess I am a Nintendo goober.

Spoon said...

cAPS, I'm so glad you've decided to start weighing in on my blog.